Ummm

Do you want to hear about my birthday last week?  It wasn't horrendous but it wasn't at all close to my plan.  It started out with me getting up early like earlier than I want to get up on my birthday at 7am.  I had to quickly shower and get out of the way so the kids could get in there and then get off to school.  When they left the husband got in the shower.  I had to move a bunch of things out of my living room or my mother-in-law would rifle through them and they are none of her business so I just put them away.  These are things like private mail, books etc.  I once saw her looking through my address book.  Not like there's anything in there shocking but I would never pick up someone elses private things and thumb through them. 

Anyway they arrived almost at 9:30am even though they had said they would be here at 9am.  So the husband and I wasted a half hour sitting around waiting for them.  They came and mother-in-law (now will be referred to as MIL) had made a small carrot cake.  FIL went to his appointment and we had coffee and cake.  By the time FIL came back and they sat around it was well past 1pm.  The weather had been glorious up to about that time and the clouds had rolled in with rain predicted. 

The plan was the husband and I would get up and go out to a local lake to walk around and enjoy the beautiful fall weather.  We'd bring some food for lunch.  On the way home we'd stop somewhere and have supper.  With the weather not cooperating it really wasn't worth driving all that way to walk around in the rain.  If we had been able to leave in the morning like I had planned we'd have got to enjoy most of the morning of sun.  Oh well.

I bought us pizza with some of my birthday money and everyone was happy especially the husband who didn't make a cake or cook a meal.  He got me a Tim Horton's travel mug, some coffee and a small outside gas fire pit/pedestal thing.  We can't have fires outside because we live in a residential neighbourhood but we can have those small gas fires.  This is about a 3 food tall pedestal with some lava rocks on top.  You just put a gas cartridge in it and light it.  It's very pretty and we are going to use it tomorrow.  It's small enough that we can use it under the sunshade too.  We tried it out on my birthday in the rain under the sunshade.

The kids got me some soap, candles and a bright orange chrysanthemum.  They still need to plant that in the front garden with the deep red one that is already there.  It reminds me of Fall seeing those flowers.  My SIL didn't even bother to send me a card.  We always phone them on their birthdays and send cards.  I think she must have been mad about something because she usually sends me cards but they never phone.  Oh well at least they live so far away I don't have to worry about her hissy fit.

I've been attempting to learn Continental Style knitting.  I learned to knit English style and boy is there a steep learning curve to learning Continental style knitting.  My hand cramps up so badly and I can't get the tension right so I am constantly having to stop and adjust after every stitch.  I gave up and just started to knit to get my hands in shape since they were cramping so badly.  I'll go back to Continental style in a bit because I am determined to learn it.  I have some really fun wool and a pattern for a hat that I want to knit but that will involve circular needles and I've already forgotten how I knit the last hat I did so I'll have to learn all over again.

If it's sunny like the forecast says it's going to be tomorrow I think I'll plant some garlic.  I'll need to find some mulch for it so it will make it through the winter.  Lately we get really cold snaps before there is any snow so the plants don't always survive that unless they have some protection.  I also have a ton of rose hips I'm watching.  I want to harvest them after our first hard frost but I may do it before.  I've already got rose hip tincture from last year so I think I'll just clean and dry them to put in teas.  It takes forever because you have to clean that stuff out inside them or it can irritate your digestion.  If I had a food dehydrator I'd leave them whole but they dry better when they are cut in half so I have to take the seeds and fiber out of them.  I'll just dry them slowly in the oven.

I also have to harvest of bunch of peppermint to hang dry.  The daughter drinks lots of peppermint tea and since we have so much in the garden I don't want to buy it anymore.  I've told her to just go outside and pick some for her tea fresh but she never does so I'll dry some and put it in a jar so she won't have any excuse.

Sorry this post is just mind fluff and not very interesting.  I'll try better next time.

Comments

Belated birthday wishes! I didn't even know there was such a thing as "English" and "Continental" styles of knitting.
ditchingthedog said…
.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆ ★ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
╔╗╔╦══╦═╦═╦╗╔╗ ★ ★ ★
║╚╝║══║═║═║╚╝║ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
║╔╗║╔╗║╔╣╔╩╗╔╝ ★ BIRTHDAY ★
╚╝╚╩╝╚╩╝╚╝═╚╝ ¥☆★☆★☆¥ ★☆

Your MIL! Who does that? I would never look through someone else's things. And planning appointments on your birthday? I would have been more than just a little pissed off and my husband would have heard about it.
Sparkless said…
Debra yup, two ways to knit. Thanks for the birthday wishes.

Birdie, my husband did hear about it and now he owes me big time. Funny thing is he likes my family and would rather spend time with them than his own. At least MIL brought cake. LOL!

Popular posts from this blog

Evening Entertainment

Halloween

Trying My Best