Racing the Calendar

The countdown is on till Christmas.  Every time I turn around I have to get another gift or attend another event or make another food item.  It's exhausting!  I just want to curl up with a good book and a cup of herbal tea or hot chocolate and relax while I put my fake fire on my computer screen.  There is something so soothing about a fire even if it is just one on my computer screen.

So it's looking like another slim snow year for us.  We have a bit of snow but it's melting fast.  We probably got an inch of slushy snow and now all that's left are the piles after we shoveled.  If we moved higher up the mountains there would be a bit more snow and it wouldn't melt as quickly but still we aren't getting much snow, just rain.  Bah humbug!

We have three family birthdays in December, no actually 5.  I think birthdays in December should be banned entirely and maybe even those in November and January too.  Too much shopping and trying to figure out something the people will like for a birthday and then you are hit with Christmas and have to do it all over again.  Not to mention who wants to eat birthday cake in December when there are all those Christmas treats?  It just means I get fatter and fatter trying to keep up with all the eating.

Why can't holidays have less food in them and more....more... something good for us that we love doing?  I'm sitting here looking at my baking list and wondering how much we really need.  Probably none but it really wouldn't feel like Christmas without those gingerbread cookies, shortbread cookies, nanaimo bars, peanut butter balls, almond rocha candy and nuts and bolts.  Oh my word that's too many sweets!

Oh well, I guess we'll somehow manage to eat it all even if it means freezing it and only taking it out when friends and family come over.  I usually bake and freeze most of the cookies and bars and only take out a bit at a time so we aren't constantly munching the stuff.  We get gifts of food and goodies from other people too so we need to make sure to give away as much stuff as we can so we aren't eating it all ourselves.  Usually I gather up all the excess of stuff after New Years day and bring it to the food bank or homeless kitchen.  I'll give away any boxes of chocolates we get, any candies or treats we don't need to eat and any cookies.  After Christmas I'm pretty happy to see it all go and not have to struggle with those cravings when something is just in the freezer and one little cookie won't hurt, right?

We got our tree today and it's pretty small.  I was the only one who didn't think it was big enough and wanted to look around a bit but the rest of them said that they liked it so we took it home.  It's sitting in our garage in a bucket of water.  We'll bring it inside next Friday and decorate it.  The reason we have to wait until then is we are waiting for the husband to be off work so we can all decorate it together.  It's not like we have a large house to decorate but for years I did most of it myself and now I won't do it unless everyone helps.

I'm going to sort through what I've got for the kids and see if I've got what I wanted for them.  I think I still have to get a few more stocking stuffers and that's it for them.  I've only got a couple of shirts for the husband but that's all I'm getting him other than some stocking stuffers.  Most likely I'll get him some coffee and underwear.  It's kind of a joke that I always get him underwear.  Maybe I'll get him some socks or a pair of gloves instead.

Now if I could just sleep and get some energy I could get all the things done I need to do.  Guess I'll go try to sleep since it's 2am.  Hopefully I'll be able to sleep tonight before 4am.

Comments

Leigh said…
My son's birthday is five days after Christmas although I went into labor on Christmas Eve but fortunately it stopped! As much as I used to groan over having to make and eat a birthday cake, I was determined that his birthday would not be overshadowed by Christmas. When family asked if they could give him a combination gift I told them NO! It would have been much nicer to not have his birthday so close to Christmas, but it's not something we had much control over. :) Still, it was only one and you've got 5! You must get exhausted just thinking about it.
Sparkless said…
Hi Leigh. Luckily for me they are all adult birthdays and not my kids birthdays. My daughter was born at the end of Jan and my son was born at the end of Feb. But in Dec we have my sister-in-law, mother-in-law, nephew, grand-nephew, and my best friend who I consider to be my third sister. My sister by heart was born on Christmas day and I always give her a birthday gift and take her out for coffee before Christmas so we can celebrate her birthday all on it's own. My grand-nephew is turning 1 this Dec 19th so his mom and dad are having a big birthday bash for him. And for my sister-in-law we have to ship her gift because she doesn't live close to us. Mother-in-law and Father-in-law should be here to visit sometime before Christmas to drop off gifts and we'll make her a cake and give her her present then plus all their Christmas gifts too. And you are right you can't control when you are born but it sure would be nice if you could. LOL!

Popular posts from this blog

Mother's Day Good

Trying My Best

Evening Entertainment