There Aren't Enough Tissues in the World

I am so sad to say that my friend, who was like a little brother to me, has passed away from throat cancer yesterday.  He was only 46 years old.  My heart breaks for his family, son and wife.  I can't imagine how much pain they are in.  And to think his mom now has her own fight with cancer to deal with.  Can you imagine?

I'm not sure if there will be a funeral.  I don't think he wanted one but the funeral isn't really for the person who has passed but for all the people who loved him.  It's a healing and a coming to terms thing for them.  I hope there is some kind of ceremony.  My older sister and I are going to drop off some flowers at his mom's house.  They live across the street from my parents and we grew up with them.  They are our second family.  I'll have to bring some more tissues because I know I am going to cry a lot.

I turned 50 this past Monday.  I wanted to go out and do something but my husband decided to invite people over to our house.  He invited 15 people!   So instead of going out and doing something we spent my birthday cleaning the house and moving  stuff around to make room for all the people who were coming over.

We had a good time, as we always do when we get together.  I just wanted to do something out of the ordinary to mark this particular birthday.  Oh, well I guess there is always next year.  But then you never know so maybe we'll do something fun soon.  Life is short and unpredictable.

We turned the furnace on for the first time this Fall.  We just use it to take the damp chill off in the morning.  We don't need it on during the day yet.  Now it feels like Fall.  The husband planted some orange mums in the front garden for my birthday (I asked him).  The leaves are turning colors on the trees.  I love this time of year!

There was a bunch of other things I wanted to write about but I can't remember them right now.  My head is all fuzzy, I'm tired and sad. 

Comments

I'm so sorry to hear about your childhood friend. 46 is so very young to pass away. Sounds like he was well-loved and left many to grieve him.

Congrats on joining the Big Five Oh club. I became a member a few years ago, LOL! It's an exclusive club.
Mama Pea said…
Sending condolences to you on the passing of your very dear friend. Sometimes life's happenings make no sense at all.

Belated birthday wishes to you! I remember when I had my 50th birthday and my mother was visiting us for the occasion. I said to her, "I can't believe I'm FIFTY years old!" She replied, "I can't believe I have a daughter that's fifty years old!"
Birdie said…
I was just blog hopping and came over from Leeanna's blog. Sorry to catch you on a time of sadness and grief. Death is so hard to make sense of. With so few ways of expressing grief in our society it is especially hard when funerals are taken away. Though it can be a cash grab for the funeral homes it is so important to find a way to let go. I hope you find a way.

A belated happy birthday to you!

PS - I am from BC as well. I think there are about 5 people from BC that blog. All the rest of Canadian bloggers are in Ontario! Oh, and Deb in Alberta.
Sparkless said…
Debra, thanks so much for the birthday wishes.

Mama Pea, I'm sure my mom feels the same way.

Birdie, welcome and thanks for visiting. I have only found a few bloggers from BC too so you may be right. Glad to find another BC blogger.

Popular posts from this blog

Halloween

Mother's Day Good

Evening Entertainment