The Dark Underside of Blogging

Okay well not exactly dark or underside but I have been noticing something lately.  Lots of bloggers do contests on their blogs to get more readers.  But sometimes I wonder if the contests are done fairly. 

I've also had a personal experience with a very big name blogger who will remain unnamed.  She had promised to send me a prize for something I emailed her about.  I waited and waited and nothing.  I waited for two months so I know that the object should have arrived.  I was wondering if I should email and let her know that I had never received the item.  Finally I figured what the heck if this woman is legitimate then she would want to know, right?  I know I would want to know.

The weird part to this story was several years ago when I first stumbled onto her blog I won a prize from her which I also never received.  I never bothered to email and let her know about it because it was an inexpensive thing and I just couldn't be bothered.  But what bothered me was the idea that this big name blogger was constantly doing contests and they may not be legitimate.  And this is really why I emailed her about the second item.  I wanted to see if I would get a response, which I never did by the way.  I did however receive the item in the mail.  It was mailed after I sent her an email letting her know that the item had never arrived.  So the item had not been mailed in the first place or had gone missing in the mail.  I'll never know because I never got an answer to my email.  A simple reply that she had forgot to mail it or that it must have gone missing in the mail would have been enough.  It bugged me that my email went unanswered but the item arrived with no note or explanation.

It made me feel weird to win something and then have to hunt the thing down.  Then to receive no reply or answer when the item arrived was kind of rude.  I didn't ask her to send me the item she said she would.  If you say you are going to do something then you should follow through and do it.  Especially if you make a large amount of money from your blog because word does get around.  It's too easy to lose your good reputation now through online communication.  It's always best to treat people like you would want them to treat you.


So this big name blogger shall remain unnamed because I will give her the benefit of doubt.  I wish she had replied to my email with an explanation.  If the said item had gone missing in the mail I'm fine with that.  I wouldn't have expected her to replace and resend it.  I'm pretty easy that way.  I'm just going to assume she is so super busy she doesn't have time to reply to little people like me.  Thanks for the item, it arrived a little late but the effort is appreciated.  I won't be entering any more of your contests though because life is too short to wait around for the prize to arrive.

Comments

Erin said…
I just realized I don't even read any "big name" bloggers, and now I'm suddenly glad LOL! I don't like reading any blogs with ads and links to businesses all over the place so I usually move on if I see that. I am totally okay with bloggers who post links to sites that have products they use and recommend personally without any solicitation. Glad you finally got your item, but I agree that your email should have been acknowledged.
I bet you're not the only one this has happened to. Usually there's patterns in people's conduct.
Sparkless said…
Erin, I just ignore the ads if I like the blog. I read a few big name bloggers.

Debra, that is exactly what I was thinking. I just wish there was a way to find out without dragging her name through the mud.
Mama Pea said…
I don't know for sure which blogger you're speaking of but I have a strong suspicion. A couple/few years ago when I was naive and thought I was contributing to a worthy cause (cough, snortle, choke), I ordered a copy of one of her books. It didn't come and didn't come. Several of my e-mails later I did finally hear from her suggesting I had given her an incorrect mailing address and the book had gone astray. Excuse me? I don't know my own address? After that I started hearing from other bloggers who had been taken in by her also. Her same behavior continues to this day. How do some people get by for so long?? Sorry, but a pet peeve of mine is people who knowingly take advantage of other people for their own personal gain. That's not the way to be, Folks.
Sparkless said…
Mama Pea, did you ever get your book? If I knew for sure that she was giving out these awesome prizes and then not bothering to send them unless you harassed her I'd be sure to let people know and would have named her. Sad that people can basically steal from other people online and get away with it.
Mama Pea said…
Sparkless - Yes, but only because I kept bugging her. It wasn't $25 I wanted to kiss good-bye.

I'm thinking we are talking of two different bloggers. The one I'm referring to doesn't have the where with all to give out awesome prizes. She's more into asking for donations. And more donations. And more donations.
Sparkless said…
Mama Pea, good for you! No, I don't think it's the same blogger we are talking about.

Popular posts from this blog

Evening Entertainment

Halloween

Trying My Best