Off Kilter

This week my kids are off school for exams.  Don't even ask me to explain why they don't go to school while they have their exams.  The grade 8-9's have their exams in class and then get Mon-Wed off and go back on Thursday.  It is their quarter semester break and when they go back they have new electives.  The grade 10-12's would have a week of exams that they write in large sittings in the gym but for some reason this year that isn't happening.  I have no idea what is going on anymore.  Our teachers are on strike, kind of.  Instead of actually being on strike they no longer do a bunch of the work they normally would like giving marks.  We get a report card with only attendance on it.  If you want to know your child's grade you have to email the teacher to get it.  I'm not sure what the point of all this is, I think I'd rather the teachers be on strike and then this would all be over with sooner.  As it is the teachers are getting the same pay for doing a lot less work.

There's more that they aren't doing and it's very frustrating for parents.  I'm not blaming the teachers, it's our stupid provincial gov't who think they can make everyone live on pennies while they give themselves nice big wage increases and great pensions for only working 4 years.  The cost of living goes up, so should the wages.

Anyway from what the son says he goes back to classes on Friday but I can't find anywhere that says that.  I've checked the school website and the newsletter.  I'm beginning to think our school is run by a bunch of idiots because no one can write a simple communication that is clear enough for everyone to understand.  I'm not the only parents who has to phone the school to find out what is going on. 

So it will be a week of trying to keep one kids studying while entertaining one who is on holiday.  UG!!!  I really hate our school and if there was another one to send them to I'd do it.  Stupid gov't closes all the schools and then crams all the kids into the high school that they rebuilt but smaller.  Now it's over crowded.  Grrr!

We got a couple inches of snow but it's hovering around freezing and rain so I'm sure it won't last out the week.  I'm really feeling the January blahs right now.  Usually I love this time of year.  I'm not sure why this year is different.  Tomorrow I've got to remember to take a picture of my junk box to post and then I have laundry to do and cat food to buy.  Ya, my life is just that exciting!

Comments

Erin said…
Crazy! A bunch of us parents had to show up at a school board meeting ourselves last week to find out more about some troubling things that have been going on. Hope things get resolved quickly!
Sparkless said…
I think the schools think parents are crazy now and try to keep them at arms length. At least that's what it seems like to me.
I hope your school's trouble gets resolved quickly too Erin.

Popular posts from this blog

Halloween

Mother's Day Good

Evening Entertainment