H1N1

Looks like the H1N1 vaccination will be available here early November. Of course by that time the virus will be in full swing and it takes 10 days for your immunity to build up after the shot not to mention it's only 90% effective. So I wonder should I get the dang thing or not?

They will also be offering the regular flu shot at the same time. I usually get the flu shot every year. The only reason I started getting the flu shot was when my kids were little I got really sick with the flu but of course had to look after a baby and a toddler. I remember laying on the kitchen floor to keep from passing out and my toddler screaming in the living room and the baby screaming in the baby swing. All I wanted to do was lay down and die but with two little kids to look after that just wasn't going to happen. There was dirty diapers to change, mouths to feed and babies to amuse. Mom's deserve to have sick time too but never get it so I figure the flu shot is the best way to avoid getting sick.

I figure I'll get both shots and I'll have the kids get the H1N1 but not the regular flu shot. We have to pay for the regular flu shot and I can't afford it. My husband gets his vaccinations free because he works in the hospital but the rest of us have to pay for them. Kids under a certain age need to get two flu shots to build up their immunity and that runs around $100 per child so it's not in our budget.

I haven't heard if the H1N1 shot is free or not but if it's not free our finances will dictate who gets it. I will get one for sure because if the kids get sick we need one parent able to stay home to look after them and if my husband doesn't go to work he doesn't get paid so it leaves me with sick kid duty every time. Dang! Nothing worse than being stuck at home with sick kids.

I'm off to buy some supplies for the cold and flu season. If I don't stock up we'll need them in the middle of the night for sure when no stores are open. Small towns mean you have to be better organized. When I lived in Vancouver it was no problem to pop out to a pharmacy in the middle of the night cause there was always one open all night. So today I'm stocking up on Advil, Tylenol, Gravol, chicken soup, tissues, and anything else that strikes my fancy.

I'll be ready when those viruses hit! Look out viruses I'm gonna kill you fast!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Evening Entertainment

Halloween

Trying My Best